If kept outside the hutch should have a waterproof roof and be placed in a position that gives some shelter from direct wind, rain and sun.
If kept indoors the cage should be placed away from direct sunlight, away from draughts and in a room of constant temperature. Avoid putting the cage near a heater where the rabbit may become hot and be sure to put the cage out of the way of any other pets which may harm the rabbit.
To prepare the cage:
- Place a good layer of woodshavings on the floor of the cage.
- Place plenty of hay in the cage, or the enclosed area of the hutch.
- Fill the water bottle with water and fix it to the cage at a height that the rabbit will be able to reach comfortably. Check by running a finger over the end of the spout that it is delivering water. If it is not give the bottle a little squeeze, dry the end of the spout and run a finger over it again.
- Fill the food dish with rabbit food and place this in the cage.
- Place any cage accessories in suitable positions within the cage.